My Obsessions

If you know me at all, you know I get obsessed with things quickly and completely immerse myself in these obsessions in a way that may seem unhealthy to my psyche to non-fandom, non-geeky individuals: aka, the straights but is perfectly normal to the rest of us.

In realizing this about myself, I've found that part of our self-identity and, in turn, our self-awareness lies greatly in the things we enjoy. The things we obsess over. I have a very addictive personality so I know to steer clear of things that will suck me in and keep me from accomplishing my goals but once in a while, I throw my addictive personality a bone. These are a few of my current obsessions:

  1. Cooking Shows
    • Chopped I currently have over 80 episodes recorded and just love watching what people can make with the crazy basket ingredients. I don't know what it is about this show but I've got everyone in my family now watching the recorded episodes late at night when we're not playing tabletop games or doing Harry Potter movie marathons.
    • Cutthroat Kitchen Alton Brown being deliciously evil with sabotages worthy of any Slytherin like a Hashtag frying pan or a bunk bed prep station! Beautiful! Anthony and I love the trash talking too.
    • Worst Cooks in America Love Anne Burrelle and while she yells at everyone a lot, she's also the type of encouraging chef that you want teaching you how to be a better chef and a better person in your own life. Plus, I love seeing that there are people out there who are so bad at cooking that my cooking failures pale in comparison.
  2. TV Shows
    • Agent Carter If the writing stays as strong as the series premiere throughout the rest of the season, I'm going to be one happy camper. I love the chemistry between Peggy and Jarvis and the millions of ways the gender stereotypes are addressed and just obliterated by Peggy's bad-ass ways. Beautiful writing and great plot so far. I hope it's better than Agents of Shield whose series I've grown tired of. I didn't like Skye from the beginning and writing the whole series around her, just annoys me.
    • Downton Abbey Talk about great writing! I never thought I'd be such a huge fan of period pieces like this one and now that we're on our 5th season, I've grown to love this series more.
    • Galavant Campy musical in the style of Mel Brooks and Monty Python on network television at a time where we need more music and sarcastic humor on TV? Yes, please.
    • The View I spend my lunch hour watching a recorded episode of The View mainly because I like Whoopi Goldberg and the show's at a time I can squeeze in my day and it's actually kind of mindless watching. I like Nicole Wallace on the panel but her laugh annoys me and I hate it when they all start talking over each other. Nicole likes to just cut into conversations a lot and that irks me most of all but I do like her insight. I think they need to get better at learning to co-host a talk show.
    • Forever This show has sucked me from the first episode and while I'm not keen on the villain storyline yet, I love that Burn Gorman is his nemesis, I hope the villain trope is stronger than they've let on so far. My favorite moments are actually when they show the relationship he has with Abe, his adopted so played by Judd Hirsch. The intricately woven storylines have been beautiful to experience and I really hope they continue for several seasons.
  3. Books
    • Parasite by Mira Grant My niece and I have decided to do the PopSugar Reading Challenge this year and I chose PARASITE as my "Book over 500 pages long" challenge. I'm a huge Mira Grant/Seanan Maguire fan so she's an auto-buy for me and at 510 pages, the book serves the challenge nicely. Her books are also the treats I give myself when I've accomplished a goal. I've had this book in my Kindle for a year and it wasn't until I saw that the second in the series was released recently that I decided, I needed to read this book. See, I know that she has an ability to suck me into her worlds and make me wish her worlds never ended so I could keep revising them with a new installment but, as it is with all good things, they must come to an end. Now, I know the book is pricey both in Kindle and print versions but I assure you, every one of her books is worth the money you spend. If you're a fan of her Feed series, I think you're going to like this one. I'm only 1/4 of the way into it (I'm only able to read about an hour a day so it's going slowly) but I'm sucked into this near-future world where a SymboGen parasite is creating what will likely be the coming apocalypse.
    • Carry the Ocean by Heidi Cullinan I've been talking about this upcoming release by one of my clients for months now with anyone who will listen because I think it's one of the most important books of 2015. Not just because it's about Autism but because it's about a adults dealing with disabilities that have been stigmatized for centuries and portrayed by media as people to pity or just not give a second thought to. As the parent of an autistic adult who will soon need to deal with falling in love, same-sex attraction, living on his own and dealing with adult decisions, one of my biggest fears is thinking he'll be alone late in life because he won't have found his SO. In CTO, Cullinan addresses so many of the issues ASD adults and those diagnosed with severe clinical depression deal with on a daily basis while still managing to give these two men a happily ever after in their romance. She's unapologetic about the portrayal of love among two men who find each other sexually attractive in a world that doesn't always allow them to be self-sufficient adults who can make decisions about their love lives on their own. Yeah, this book's a real obsession of mine as I continue to work to get people to be accepting and understanding of all walks of life, including my gay autistic son.
  4. Music
    • Meghan Trainor's TITLE album Love, love, love this album and the complete album isn't even out until tomorrow but I've already played the five songs released about 50 times each. Dear Future Husband and Title are two of my favorites.
    • American Author's Oh, What A Life album This is my editing/working/walking/reading soundtrack. It's OneRepublic meets Fun. meets Bastille. Love, love, love this album!
And those are my obsessions this week. No seriously, that's just one week's worth of obsessions and it doesn't include my daily obsession with Tumblr, Pinterest and Coffee, of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Facts About Me

My Favorite Reads of 2021

I Failed the Goodreads Challenge in 2018