Two Roads Diverged

Decisions, decisions! Having spent the better part of my day and night reading blogs, articles and twitter chats between literary agents and authors, I'm still unsure of whether what I would like to do for my authors is feasible and tangible. Learning how to traverse the waters of the publishing industry in the trade market after being in the textbook industry (and the production side of that behemoth, to boot) is becoming a full-time job. Not a complaint, mind you. I have always enjoyed learning and researching topics of interest but this topic is not just one I want to know about for the sake of attaining the knowledge. This topic of interest is one I want to eventually make a living out of.

A few things I'm still unsure of:
  1. Is it possible to be an agent for digital pub (epub) work only?
  2. Because print runs in the digital marketplace are traditionally less than in print (as in copies printed), is it possible for the agent to also be the publicist if only working with epub clientele?
  3. If working as both an agent and a publicist in this fashion, what is the best way to bill the client without hurting either party financially?

The more I think about what I enjoy doing and what I'd like to do for my authors, the more I want to stay with digital publishing while preparing and helping authors "land" agents in the print industry when they are ready to make the leap to big publishers, for example. I just don't know who to talk to about this for advice.

Currently reading: The Replacement Guitarist by Lori Toland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Facts About Me

My Favorite Reads of 2021

I Failed the Goodreads Challenge in 2018